Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Extra Credit Blog: Comma Use

Rule#1: USe commas in compound sentences when clauses are separated by a conjunction such as "and," "but," "for," "nor," or "yet."

a) I wanted to go to class yesterday, but I wanted to take a nap more.
b) She did not respond to my email yet, but hopefully she will today.

Rule #2 Use Commas to separate elements in a series. Such elements usually are adjectives, verbs, or nouns.

a) Her new boyfriend is tall, dark, and handsome.
b) Bob, Joe, Greg and Ryan dug a big hole.

Rule#3 Use commas when attributing from quoted material.

a) He said, "Hello," and then promptly left.
b) I told her she didn't need to yell, but she kept screaming, "go clean your room."

Rul#4 Commas follow introductory matter.

a) When the horn sounded, they knew half time was over.
b) If we were to build a really big bonfire, how much wood would we need?

Rule#5 Commas follow the salutation of a friendly letter and the complimentary close of any letter.

a) and b)
Dear Darla,
I hate your stinking guts. You make me vomit. You are scum between my toes.

Love,
Alfalfa

-The Little Rascals :-D

Rule #6 Commas follow all items in a date or full address

a) On January 14, 1988, she had her first child.
b) I have wanted to live in Boston, Mass., for as long as I can remember.

Rule #7 Commas surround nonessential words or phrases.

a) As a matter of fact, I would love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
b) However, I would like strawberry, not grape, jam on the sandwich.

Rule#8 Commas surround words of direct address

a) Alyssa, did you buy milk today?
b) Obviously, Steve, you are not impressed.

Rule #9 Commas indicate omitted verbs, usually expressed in another part of the sentence.

a) They went searching for buried treasure; rum they found.
b) She couldn't dance to save her life; ice skating is a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment